GiST concurrency commited

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: GiST concurrency commited
Date: 2005-06-27 12:49:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Have we list named something like 'test focusing for 8.1'? If it exists then
GiST concurrency and recovery testing should be added to it. Especially,
recovery after crash. Of course, now Oleg and me going to begin a large test
program.

While I'm running test with concurrent select/insert/update/delete/vacuum/vacuum
full I found, that sometimes postgres crashes in index_beginscan_internal on
FunctionCall3, because structure 'procedure' becomes zeroed. As I understand,
LockRelation can invalidate part of Relation structure. So, I moved
GET_REL_PROCEDURE after LockRelation. It seems to me, this patch should be
backpatched or it's needed another fixing. This problem was 2-4 times per
million statements executing by 4 flows.

And there is one more problem: it caused approximatly one time per 2-4 million
statements, I got traps:
TRAP: FailedAssertion("!((*curpage)->offsets_used == num_tuples)", File:
"vacuum.c", Line: 2766)
LOG: server process (PID 15847) was terminated by signal 6
Sorry, but I couldn't debug this trap and my knowledge about this piece of code
is very limited. Postgres didn't create a core file. I don't believe this
problem is in touch with my GiST framework, becouse it is about heap pages. I
suspect trap occurs while concurrent vacuum, but I am not sure.

PS
My concurrency testing scripts:
http://www.sigaev.ru/gist/
concur.pl - generator of SQL statements
concur.sh - simple wrapper about concur.pl which reinit db, makes db and table.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/