Re: DBSize backend integration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DBSize backend integration
Date: 2005-06-27 02:27:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Can someone come up with a better name than total_relation_size(),
> because we already have relation_size()? The problem is that in the
> first case, relation means the relation/indexes/toast, and in the second
> it is just the heap. Should we call relation_size() pg_heap_size(). I
> prefer that.

Both "relation" and "heap" are PG-isms I think. Seems to me we should
be using "pg_table_size" for the "most natural" unit, which is either
heap+toast+toast_index or heap+toast+toast_index+table_indexes depending
on whether you agree with the SQL committee that indexes are an
implementation detail ...