locks in CREATE TRIGGER, ADD FK

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: locks in CREATE TRIGGER, ADD FK
Date: 2005-03-22 05:56:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

AndrewSN pointed out on IRC that ALTER TABLE ... ADD FOREIGN KEY and
CREATE TRIGGER both acquire AccessExclusiveLocks on the table they are
adding triggers to (the PK table, in the case of ALTER TABLE). Is this
necessary? I don't see why we can't allow SELECT queries on the table to
proceed while the trigger is being added.

-Neil