Re: listening addresses

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: listening addresses
Date: 2004-03-15 20:54:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> The intention is to make "localhost" the default. That should translate
> to 127.0.0.1 and ::1 (if they have ipv6 on). Of course, if they have a
> broken resolver things might get sticky, but that is true now anyway.

Just to be clear: right now, if "localhost" doesn't resolve then the
stats collector will not start, but this doesn't prevent use of the
database. It might be a good idea to ensure that the same is still true
after making this change; that is, invalid entries in listen_addresses
should only provoke warnings and not refusal to start (assuming that
we are able to find at least one valid socket to listen to, of course).
I believe that right now, any bad entry in virtual_host causes the
postmaster to error out. That's defensible from one point of view but
on balance I think it's overly paranoid. Any other opinions out there?