Considerations for lib64

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Considerations for lib64
Date: 2003-11-24 18:25:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Some systems that can run 32-bit and 64-bit executables have lib64
directories alongside lib directories. (You could also imagine any other
alternative compilation mode in place of "64".) This requires some
adjustments in the PostgreSQL build system.

Currently, when you specify --with-openssl, then configure automatically
adds -L/usr/local/ssl/lib to LDFLAGS if that directory exists. This would
pick up the wrong directory if you are in 64-bit mode. Analogous behavior
exists for --with-krb5 with /usr/athena.

I think these default installation directories of OpenSSL and Kerberos are
mostly obsolete these days, so I'd rather get rid of that behavior
altogether and let people specify the necessary directories with
--with-libraries and --with-includes like for any of the other optional
packages that PostgreSQL supports.

Comments?

(Additional lib64 issues exist with Python; I will post about these
later.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net