Re: host and hostssl equivalence in pg_hba.conf

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jon Jenson <jon(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Subject: Re: host and hostssl equivalence in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2003-06-10 14:11:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If your real gripe is that libpq insists on trying SSL connections
>> first, the server is the wrong end to be patching that problem at.
>> There should be a way to control libpq's allow_ssl_try state variable
>> from the outside.

> A quick read makes me think that's what Jon's post is on about.

Right. I had forgotten that thread, but indeed we had agreed to a
definition that would allow flexible control of libpq's SSL behavior.
Looks like no one got round to actually implementing what was hammered
out though.

Note: if you want to take a swipe at implementing that proposal, please
be sure to start from CVS tip. I mangled all that code just a couple
days ago to allow both old and new protocols to be supported ... so any
patch based on 7.3 is not going to apply ...