XML and postgres

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: XML and postgres
Date: 2003-05-30 16:06:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

Is there interest to storing and indexed access methods for xml in
postgresql ? While I don't use xml in my applications but I see
possible directions to develop contrib module with indexed access methods
to xml-like data type. We have already contrib/ltree for tree-like
structures and recently we developed (not released yet) hstore module,
which implements hash data type like in perl with indexed AM to keys, values.
Motivation for this modules is need to store data with weak structure
(semi-structured data), i.e. we have several obligatory fields and a bunch
of optional data. Obligatory fields could be stored as usual, while
for optional columns we use special data type - hstore, which serves as
a storage of (key,value) pairs. There are could be many (key,value) pairs and
hstore provides AM to them. We've realized that combination of
ltree, hstore could be used for xml.

We have no spare time to elaborate this, so if someone could work on
this, we could provide hstore module and help with developing.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83