Plan B for log rotation support: borrow Apache code

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Plan B for log rotation support: borrow Apache code
Date: 2003-05-23 19:13:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Something we've discussed repeatedly is adding a log rotation program to
the distribution so that we don't have to hand-wave in the part of the
documentation that talks about setting up non-syslog-based logging.
A few weeks ago Andrew Sullivan offered the rotator his company uses,
but there were various objections to it (mainly that it couldn't coexist
with pg_ctl, IIRC).

I think a reasonable Plan B is to borrow Apache's rotatelogs program
hook, line, and sinker, and include it as a contrib module. It's small
and it does exactly what we want: read stdin and drop it into a series
of text files. The license can be read at
http://www.apache.org/LICENSE.txt
It's essentially BSD terms; I think all we would need to do differently
from what we'd do with homegrown code is include the text of the Apache
license in the README.rotatelogs documentation file that the contrib
module would install.

It would take an hour or two's work to put together a standalone version
of rotatelogs.c (one that doesn't depend on the Apache Portable Runtime
library). Seems well worth it to me. Does anyone have an objection to
doing this?