Conformance of PostgreSQL to ANSI/ISO Standard

From: "J M Sykes" <mike(dot)sykes(at)acm(dot)org>
To: <info(at)pgsql(dot)com>
Subject: Conformance of PostgreSQL to ANSI/ISO Standard
Date: 2003-04-13 16:30:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have been looking at

ftp://ftp.be.postgresql.org/postgresql/doc/7.2/reference-7.2-A4.pdf

and on page 70, CREATE TABLE, Compatibility, I find a statement that
suggests the writer was under a misapprehension.

You say first:

<quote>
The CREATE TABLE conforms to SQL92 Intermediate and to a subset of SQL99,
with exceptions listed below and in the descriptions above.

Temporary Tables
In addition to the local temporary table, SQL92 also defines a CREATE GLOBAL
TEMPORARY TABLE statement. Global temporary tables are also visible to other
sessions.
</quote>

Although your temporary tables seem to be effectively the same as IBM DB2's

DECLARE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE

and Oracle's

CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE

However, none of these conform to SQL:1992 at any level (or to the temporary
tables feature of SQL:1999), so you're in good company, but apparently
mistaken.

I shall be happy to try to elucidate further if you're interested, as I have
been scrutinizing this area of the SQL standard recently.

FYI, though not a member of the ANSI committee, I do contribute to the ISO
working group.

Mike Sykes.