Re: Support (was: Democracy and organisation)

From: Tim Hart <tjhart(at)mac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support (was: Democracy and organisation)
Date: 2002-06-27 06:41:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

I have an slightly different perspective on this. I hope it will be a
bit useful

Background:
I'm a senior developer for a consulting firm. I too have experience with
DB/2, Oracle, Sybase, Adabase, and M$ SQL.
In the last few years of work I've been moving from the technical side
of things to be business side ( all together now: <eewwwww> ).

I've been following PostgreSQL for a couple of years now. Absolutely
love it. I have never implemented it on a business project, though. Not
by any personal desire to use or not to use it. Usually the db choice is
out of my hands. I cannot say personally that PostgreSQL support is
amazing - ( once again, no experience at all to draw on ), however, I've
been following the lists closely enough over the last few years that I
believe the statement to be accurate. I can say that support services
from the other vendors really aren't all that spectacular.

Perspective:
There is one factor to database choice that I haven't seen listed here.
Culpability & legal retribution. I'm not a lawyer, and don't claim to
be - so I welcome any corrections to the accuracy of the following.
Regardless of its' legal accuracy, I can vouch for the common belief in
the following thought by corporate I.T. management.

Any corporation, whether privately or publicly held, has various legal
obligations to it's shareholders. Executive officers share in both the
financial rewards of a successful company and in the legal
responsibility that the corporation has to it's shareholders.

If a catastrophic software failure results in a high percentage of lost
revenue, a corporation might be able to seek monetary compensation from
a commercial vendor. They could even be taken to court - depending upon
licensing, product descriptions, promises made in product literature,
etc. For cases like open source projects, like PostgreSQL, there is no
legal recourse available.

So - in the extreme case, if commercial Vendor V's database blows
chunks, and causes company B to loose a lot of money. If Company B can
prove that the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of Vendor V, Company
C can sue Vendor V's a** off. Executive management isn't at fault -
because they have performed due diligence and have forged a partnership
with vendor V who has a legal responsibility for the claims of their
product.

If, however, the database was PostgreSQL, then Company C has no legal
recourse. Executive management has personally taken all responsibility
for any catastrophic software failures, and therefore have put
themselves in quite a precarious situation. No one else to take the
blame but them!

Now frankly I know that the above scenario is extreme. I was rolling my
eyes while *writing* it. But the truth is that these are the kinds of
things that technical auditors would report to a Board of Directors.
There is nothing wrong with executive management choosing to assume risk
(outside of corporate politics, that is ). Many savvy members of
management realize that the real risk is quite low. Of course, the
comfort level goes way up when the database is supporting a non-vital
business process - or a process that is several steps away from the
revenue stream.

Still - imagine a database system with data and transactional volume the
size of Google. In this case the volume of updates & inserts is much
higher. Now this database is a companies' main source of revenue
( again, extreme, but we're talking examples ). Would you blame a
corporate exec if he wasn't willing to place his own personal assets on
the line by choosing PostgreSQL over Oracle?

BTW - Oracle & other commercial vendors handle these contingencies by
buying insurance policies. If the above situation had occurred and
Oracle was the vendor, then the two companies would most likely settle
out of court by dealing with the insurer. I dunno exactly how the claims
process works on such a beast, but I know that such policies are
purchased ( and you thought the annual support fee was just to cover the
support staff's salaries?). Maybe Oracle would file a claim, an adjuster
would visit Oracle's customer, etc?

Closing:
I think PostgreSQL is a great database. I haven't explored it's good and
bad points thoroughly enough to know what applications it serves best,
and where it's weakest. I do hope to use it in enough scenarios to find
out. I hope a lawyer reads this and tells me that regardless of what
management thinks is true, the above is hog-wash. Until someone does, I
can't ignore the fact that a commercial vendor has a legal
responsibility to support the claims of their product, while an open
source group does not. I think PostgreSQL specifically keeps all of
their claims legitimate and reasonable, but that doesn't change the fact
that if someone makes an honest mistake, there is nothing that can be
done *legally* to make you correct your mistake or pay for the damage it
caused.