Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Devogelaere <michael(at)digibel(dot)be>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL
Date: 2002-01-24 18:11:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Devogelaere <michael(at)digibel(dot)be> writes:
> Ok: the client reported something like:
> "Unexpected EOF from PostgreSQL-backend".

What showed up in the postmaster log when this happened? I would like
*exact* error message texts, not approximations.

> When looking with ps aux, i noted
> that all postmaster-childs where <defunct>. I couldn't connect anymore with
> psql

What happened when you tried to connect with psql? Again, exact, not
approximate.

It sounds like the postmaster got into a state where it was not
responding to SIGCHLD signals. We fixed one possible cause of that
between 7.1 and 7.2, but without a more concrete report I have no way to
know if you saw the same problem or a different one. I'd have expected
connection attempts to unwedge the postmaster in any case.