Re: 7.2 stuff

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.2 stuff
Date: 2001-06-21 04:25:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> How far off is 7.2? Ages?

Hopefully not. I'd like to see us get back on a reasonably short
release cycle, like every six months or less --- the last couple
major release cycles have been painfully long.

So, maybe beta around Aug-Sep?

Not speaking on behalf of core here; we haven't discussed release
schedule at all yet. Just my personal $0.02.

> * Check that pgclass.relfkeys is being set correctly.
> - Is pgclass.relfkeys being used at the moment?

A quick glimpse shows not. I have a personal todo item to fix
relhaspkey, which isn't implemented either. Feel free to fix this
one if it bugs you. (Note: it might be harder than it looks; think
about race conditions when different backends are adding/dropping
keys concurrently.)

> * MOVE ALTER CODE FROM heap.c/command.c INTO alter.c
> - I get the feeling I'm filling up heap.c with lots of alter table crud
> that is beginning to need its own file?

Code beautification efforts are always worthwhile IMHO.