Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?
Date: 2000-08-23 00:30:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> > I would go further and say that in the near future when some
> > milestone is reached (say, the addition of outer joins?) it
> > might be a good idea to mark the occasion with a name change
> > of some sort.
>
> In my personal experience, out in the real world, people refer to it
> as "Postgres". The QL being a mouthful, and contrary to the common
> practice of pronouncing SQL as SEQUEL. While Marc points out that
> technically Postgres died when it left Berkeley, that discontinuity is
> really only something we choose to acknowledge. As Henry points out,
> SQL is only one feature that happened to be added. Apart from not
> owning the domain name, why shouldn't it just be "Postgres"?

4 years ago we discussed what to rename the project, since Postgres95
wasn't considerd a very "long term name" (kinda like Windows2000), and
PostgreSQL was choosen, as it both represented our roots as well as what
we've grown into ... we've spent 4 years now building up a market presence
with that name, getting it known so that ppl know what it is ... changing
it now is not an option. If PostgreSQL were considered a bad name, maybe
... look at MySQL with their new "MaxSQL" product ... but it isn't, and is
growing stronger ...