Re: [HACKERS] Re: Notation for nextval() (was Re: Several small patches)

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: wieck(at)debis(dot)com, lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, jeroen(at)design(dot)nl, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Notation for nextval() (was Re: Several small patches)
Date: 1999-12-18 02:06:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, that's a royal mess. Guess we can remove the code if someone asks
> us to? Not much more we can do.

I think the issue is the license term, not the copyright. In my
opinion, we could live with copyrights other than ours as long as
their licenses are as free as the PostgreSQL license.

> > Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> >
> > > Do we now have things in the code tree which do not carry two
> > > copyrights, or just the Postgres Dev Group copyright plus a reference
> > > to the full text in the docs?
> >
> > Seen some recently - wait...
> >
> > backend/optimizer/geqo/... (c) 1990 Darrell L. Whitley

>From the source code:
>Permission is hereby granted to copy all or any part of
>this program for free distribution. The author's name
>and this copyright notice must be included in any copy.

This looks safe for me.

> > backend/port/inet_aton.* Outch - see below
> > * This inet_aton() function was taken from the GNU C library and
> > * incorporated into Postgres for those systems which do not have this
> > * routine in their standard C libraries.

Seems bad for us, since they are GPL'd...

> > backend/port/snprintf.c (c) 1993 Eric P. Allman

Looks good. Its licence is BSD.

> > backend/port/dynloader/aix.* (c) 1992 HELIOS Software GmbH

/*
* @(#)dlfcn.c 1.7 revision of 95/08/14 19:08:38
* This is an unpublished work copyright (c) 1992 HELIOS Software GmbH
* 30159 Hannover, Germany
*/

Not sure about above.

> > backend/port/dynloader/qnx4.c (c) 1999, repas AEG Automation GmbH
> > backend/port/qnx4/isnan.c (c) 1999, repas AEG Automation GmbH
> > backend/port/qnx4/rint.c (c) 1999, repas AEG Automation GmbH
> > backend/port/qnx4/sem.c (c) 1999, repas AEG Automation GmbH
> > backend/port/qnx4/shm.c (c) 1999, repas AEG Automation GmbH
> > backend/port/qnx4/tstrint.c (c) 1999, repas AEG Automation GmbH
> > backend/port/qnx4/tstsem.c (c) 1999, repas AEG Automation GmbH
> > backend/port/qnx4/tstshm.c (c) 1999, repas AEG Automation GmbH

Nothing is mentioned about the license. We could ask the author about
it.

> > backend/regex/... (c) 1992, 1993, 1994 Henry Spencer.

> * Copyright (c) 1992, 1993, 1994 Henry Spencer.
> * Copyright (c) 1992, 1993, 1994
> * The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
> *
> * This code is derived from software contributed to Berkeley by
> * Henry Spencer.

Seems ok for me.

> > backend/utils/adt/float.c (c) 1994 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. (line 1510)

> * Developed at SunPro, a Sun Microsystems, Inc. business.
> * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
> * software is freely granted, provided that this notice
> * is preserved.

Also good.

> > backend/utils/adt/geo_ops.c (c) 1995 <by John Franks>

> * (code offered for use by J. Franks in Linux Journal letter.)

This indicates it's safe?

> > backend/utils/adt/inet_net_ntop.c (c) 1996 by Internet Software Consortium.
> > backend/utils/adt/inet_net_pton.c (c) 1996 by Internet Software Consortium.

License term seems ok for us.

> > backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c (c) Jan Wieck :-) - I'll remove that.

I think he could leave his copyright, but it is up to him...

> > backend/utils/mb/big5.c
> > * conversion between BIG5 and Mule Internal Code(CNS 116643-1992
> > * plane 1 and plane 2).
> > * This program is partially copied from lv(Multilingual file viewer)
> > * and slightly modified. lv is written and copyrighted by NARITA Tomio
> > * (nrt(at)web(dot)ad(dot)jp).

I contacted the author when I borrowed his code. At that time its
license seemed to be sort of "public domain." But today I found on his
web page (http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~nrt/lv/) that he seems changed
the license to GPL2. This is bad news for me, so I have written to him
about it and am waiting for his reply...
--
Tatsuo Ishii