During InitDB: could not access file "$libdir/ascii_and_mic" (probably because there are no .so files?)

From: Vitaly Belman <vitalib(at)012(dot)net(dot)il>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: During InitDB: could not access file "$libdir/ascii_and_mic" (probably because there are no .so files?)
Date: 2004-03-26 12:16:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hello pgsql-hackers-win32,

I downloaded today the postgresql snapshot and tried to make it
work.

I followed the compile direction presented here:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/win32.html

From MSYS I did:
* configure --without-zlib
* make
Then it compiles successfully (or so I think) - I saw no specific
fatal errors or anything of the king, though there were a few
warnings now and then

Afterward I copied the "libpq.dll" to the SYSTEM32 dir and tried to
do:

initdb -D data (from CMD.exe)

At first it complained about files not being in "local\pgsql\share"
and "local\pgsql\bin". So I copied the needed files from the src
folder. Then I tried again.

The output was:

> creating directory Data ... ok
> creating directory Data/global ... ok
> creating directory Data/pg_xlog ... ok
> creating directory Data/pg_clog ... ok
> creating directory Data/base ... ok
> creating directory Data/base/1 ... ok
> selecting default max_connections ... 100
> selecting default shared_buffers ... 1000
> creating configuration files ... ok
> creating template1 database in Data/base/1 ... ok
> initializing pg_shadow ... ok
> enabling unlimited row size for system tables ... ok
> initializing pg_depend ... ok
> creating system views ... ok
> creating conversions ... ERROR: could not access file "$libdir/ascii_and_mic":
> No such file or directory
> initdb: child process was terminated by signal 1
> initdb: failed
> initdb: removing data directory "Data"

From what I read, the $libdir is the following directory: local\pgsql\lib
I create this structure and put the whole "ascii_and_mic" directory
inside (as I was unsure what file it needs). I read somewhere that
it needs the "ascii_and_mic.so" file but no files with this
extension were created during the compilation so I am baffled about
where do I take these .so files from and why weren't they created in
the first place.

Also, I am a bit confused about the directory issue... Did I have to
copy files manually to a directory structure that I created?
Shouldn't have the makefile move all the files to their appropriate
places?

P.S If it isn't obvious, I am a linux newbie - I compiled/ran stuff
on cygwin a few times but I never had any real Linux experience, so
please keep this in mind if you post an answer. "Bootstrap" and
"Postadmin" as words don't tell me too much.

Regards,
Vitaly Belman

ICQ: 1912453
AIM: VitalyB1984