Dumb unlink question

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dumb unlink question
Date: 2003-10-30 04:33:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hi all,

was looking at pgunlink, the win32 unlink replacement for postgres, and was
wondering if it is instead possible (not necessarily make sense to, but
possible):
- to simply try the unlink call once, and
- if unsuccessful with EACCES, mark the file to be deleted some
later time (ie. next postmaster restart, on system reboot with MoveFileEx,
...)

Clearly, this would become burdensome if the file is ever likely to be
reused again.

So, my question boils down to, effectively, do unlinked files ever get
rebirthed (eg. if postgres unlinks the file $PGDATA\base\17138, for
instance, can I ever expect to see this file appear again at a later date?)
in routine use, or does postgres use ever-increasing file numbers. Perhaps
after a restore?

Cheers,
Claudio

---
WE HAVE MOVED - PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW CONTACT DETAILS:
THE BASEMENT, 33 EWELL STREET, BALMAIN NSW 2041
TEL: +61 2 9555 1544 FAX: +61 2 9555 6911
http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html