Re: Odd corruption issue reported on dba.stackexchange.com, need advice

From: Marcin Mańk <marcin(dot)mank(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, mpitt(at)debian(dot)org
Subject: Re: Odd corruption issue reported on dba.stackexchange.com, need advice
Date: 2012-07-25 07:41:58
Lists: pgsql-general

I privately pointed Martin Pitt (Debian maintainer) to this
discussion, his response below.

Martin, I believe what happened is:
the original complainer did /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
this called pg_ctlcluster --force restart
this effectively did: pg_ctlcluster --force stop (which removed the
pidfile); pg_ctlcluster start;
boom.