Re: Streaming replication on 9.1-beta2 after pg_restore is very slow

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Hartveld <David(dot)Hartveld(at)mendix(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication on 9.1-beta2 after pg_restore is very slow
Date: 2011-07-07 15:14:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Looking back, I notice that you built with gcc 4.6.0. At least on Red
Hat machines, that gcc has a rather nasty optimization bug that breaks
WAL replay, with symptoms that seem to match what you have here ---
namely, the replay process quits and has to be restarted every few pages.
I'm betting Debian hasn't fixed that bug yet either and so you need this
post-beta2 patch:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=c2ba0121c73b7461331104a46d140156e847572a