Re: Missing uuid_generate_v1()

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mike Christensen <mike(at)kitchenpc(dot)com>, adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Missing uuid_generate_v1()
Date: 2010-10-07 09:54:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Mike Christensen <mike(at)kitchenpc(dot)com> writes:
>> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> If you have a libossp-uuid.so.16, you might try symlinking libuuid.so.16
>>> to that instead of carrying a separate file.
>
>> So now what you're saying is if it's not broke, fix it till it is :)
>
> Well, it's hard to argue with that position ;-).  But I'll try anyway:
> the platform-provided version of the library will be updated for bug
> fixes, compatibility rebuilds, etc.  Your private copy won't be, unless
> you remember to do it.  Eventually that's gonna bite ya.
>
> Of course the best fix would be for EDB to ship a build of Postgres
> that actually follows the platform-standard naming convention for this
> library.  I'm still wondering why they're linking to libuuid.so.
> Dave?

Because that's what comes with ossp-uuid 1.6.2, and I assume is what
configure chooses when we use --with-ossp-uuid:

[buildfarm(at)bf2-linux ~]$ uuid-config --libs
-luuid

FYI, there was also a bug in the installer which didn't copy the
library properly, which has been fixed for 9.0.2.

--
Dave Page
PostgreSQL Core Team