Re: pg_dumpall custom format?

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall custom format?
Date: 2010-05-13 12:12:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On 5 March 2009 12:08, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion Marc. It would still be nice to have the custom
> format included as an option though with pg_restore supporting it, just for
> consistency.
>
> I will, however, follow your recommendation.
>
> Thom
>
> 2009/3/5 Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
>
> Hello,
>>
>> you can first pipe the output of pg_dump to a compression tool:
>>
>> pg_dump..... | gzip > file.
>>
>> instead of gzip, I'm using pigz which is faster thanks multithreading.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Marc Mamin

I'm bringing this thread back to life to see if there are any further
thoughts on this. It would be nice to have a complete backup of a database
cluster in custom format, and use pg_restore to restore an individual
database in the same way that it can restore individual schemas and tables
etc.

Thanks

Thom