Re: C++ User-defined functions

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: George Oakman <oakmang(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: C++ User-defined functions
Date: 2009-03-10 02:42:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> George Oakman wrote:
>> Thanks Craig,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile a very simple test with Visual Studio (2008), but
>> I get the following errors:
>
> The PostgreSQL backend and header files are not compatible with Visual
> Studio 2008. At least they're not tested wit hit. You need to try Visual
> Studio 2005.

You should build your extension with the same version of VC++ as the Pg
server was built with anyway, and at the moment that means 2005 if
you're using a stock binary distribution. Otherwise you may encounter
problems with mismatched C runtime libraries, resulting in exciting
problems with memory management, file handles, and other things. IIRC
Pg's use of palloc() should actually avoid the problems with memory
being allocated in one DLL then free()'d in another, but I'd still be wary.

>> c:\program files\postgresql\8.3\include\server\c.h(97) : fatal error
>> C1083: Cannot open include file: 'libintl.h': No such file or directory
>>
>> I must be doing something wrong - I don't even have a libintl.h on my
>> drive...

For some reason the Pg binary distribution doesn't include the headers
for gettext, despite the public backend headers requiring them. (IMO it
really should).

I actually landed up making a dummy libintl.h since I wasn't actually
linking to or using any of the gettext functions, but it'd be much
better to have the correct headers - as noted below:

--
Craig Ringer