problem with importing dbf file into postgresql using navicat on mac OS X

From: Mathias Ghys <mathias(dot)ghys(at)telenet(dot)be>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problem with importing dbf file into postgresql using navicat on mac OS X
Date: 2008-05-12 17:28:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I bought a dvd containing all the roads and positions of houses in
Belgium. Now it already worked to import all the gml files into my
postgresql database. But the easier import of dbf files always turns
out wrong.

I use navicat on a mac OS X system. I always get the following error
message:

Error Message: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8":
0xe96f70
HINT: This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match
the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by
"client_encoding".

My postgresql database is UTF-8 encoded. With importing I get the
following data:

http://server58.dedicatedusa.com/~mathias/mathias/datatypes.tiff

do you guys have any idea what i've been doing wrong and how I could
get the *.dbf files into my postgresql database?

many thanks already

Mathias Ghys