Re: partitioning using dblink

From: Scara Maccai <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: partitioning using dblink
Date: 2008-02-28 21:46:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I think you can do pretty much the same thing with
PL/Proxy; see

https://developer.skype.com/SkypeGarage/DbProjects/PlProxy

Mmmh, I actually looked into that but I thought it
only worked with user functions...
am I wrong?

What I'd like to have is an almost-transparent
horizontal partitioning system, and
I think that everything is there: postgresql
partitioning (which even has partition pruning)
+ dblink should be enough...

it's only that you can't use them together, because
with dblink you should use
VIEWs but partitioning can't work with those (which I
find correct, BTW).
What I would like is for Postgresql to know that a
table is actually a remote table...

BUT!!!
since "Views in PostgreSQL are implemented using the
rule system", I could do
(pseudo-sql)

CREATE TABLE mypartion HINERITS blabla CHECK
CONSTR..[...] ;

CREATE RULE "_RETURN" AS ON SELECT TO myview DO
INSTEAD
SELECT * FROM dblink;

Can't I??? That would be horizontal partitioning using
dblink+postgresql!!!

Am I wrong???

L'email della prossima generazione? Puoi averla con la nuova Yahoo! Mail: http://it.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html