Re: mssql migration and boolean to integer problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "robert lazarski" <robertlazarski(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mssql migration and boolean to integer problems
Date: 2007-12-17 17:24:04
Lists: pgsql-general

"robert lazarski" <robertlazarski(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Is there any way to get the above insert to work as is, via a function
> or some other way? I tried the function of another poster but it seems
> there is already a cast built in for 8.1.9 for integer to boolean, and
> it didn't work for me on the above insert.

You could mark the built-in cast as assignment-only (I wouldn't
recommend setting it to implicit, as it's not clear what cases
that might break).

d1=# create table foo (f1 bool);
CREATE TABLE
d1=# insert into foo values(1);
ERROR: column "f1" is of type boolean but expression is of type integer
HINT: You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.
d1=# update pg_cast set castcontext = 'a' where castsource = 'int'::regtype
d1-# and casttarget = 'bool'::regtype;
UPDATE 1
d1=# insert into foo values(1);
INSERT 0 1

Unfortunately this is something you'd have to do over after any database
reload, because pg_dump won't preserve changes to the definitions of
built-in objects.