Re: (Never?) Kill Postmaster?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christian Schröder <cs(at)deriva(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: (Never?) Kill Postmaster?
Date: 2007-11-12 22:08:31
Lists: pgsql-general

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Schr=F6der?= <cs(at)deriva(dot)de> writes:
> [ ongoing saga ]

Hah, I've got it. (Should have searched Red Hat's bugzilla sooner.)
What you are hitting is a glibc bug, as explained here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-hacker/2007-10/msg00010.html
If libpthread is loaded after first use of dcgettext, then subsequent
uses are at risk of hanging because they start to use a mutex lock
that was never initialized. And libperl brings in libpthread.

I've confirmed that the test program given in the above page hangs
on your machine, and does not hang on mine (with latest Fedora 6
glibc), which no doubt explains my lack of success in reproducing
the problem.

So you need to pester SuSE for a glibc with that fix in it ...