Re: UTF8 conversion differences from v8.1.3 to v8.1.4

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Eric Faulhaber <ecf(at)goldencode(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF8 conversion differences from v8.1.3 to v8.1.4
Date: 2006-07-19 10:35:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 08:03:51PM -0400, Eric Faulhaber wrote:
> > It's not a defect ... or at least, it doesn't make sense to change it
> > unless you are willing to go through the entire system to make it able
> > to store null bytes in text. We've looked at that in the past and
> > always concluded that it was completely impractical :-(
>
> :-( indeed, though I appreciate the dialog, Tom. Sadly, this would not
> be the first completely impractical task on my todo list ;-)

It's a pity postgres doesn't handle nulls in strings. Perl for example
handles it just fine, but I imagine they've reimplemented many of the
string functions themselves anyway.

Looking at the code it doesn't appear that there are too many places
that are problematic. The real killer though is the regex matching and
sorting, they like null terminated strings. The latter could be dealt
with using ICU which doesn't treat the zero code point specially. But
after that, there's probably others too. I suppose a concerted effort
would have to be made to try and make it work properly.

Have a nice day,