Re: pg_dump throws no buffer space available error

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump throws no buffer space available error
Date: 2006-01-07 07:29:28
Lists: pgsql-general

"Vishal Dixit" <vishal_d(at)ureach(dot)com> wrote

> We are running postgres version 8.0 on windows server 2003. On
> doing a pg_dump of a large database the following error occurs:
>
> pg_dump: could not receive data from server: No buffer space
> available
>
> There is one table in the database containing bytea type column,
> this error comes as we add more entries to this column. Please
> share your thoughts.

It is a socket error WSAENOBUFS. According to Microsoft:

"No buffer space available. -- An operation on a socket could not be
performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a
queue was full."

I just googled a little bit, tweak some regedit values can alleviate it, but
not sure.

/*
For pg-hackers:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q201213/