Re: PostgreSQL and SAN/NAS technologies

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Mark Cave-Ayland" <m(dot)cave-ayland(at)webbased(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and SAN/NAS technologies
Date: 2005-11-29 21:10:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> We're looking at investing in a new storage system in order to run
> PostgreSQL and the advice we are getting is to move away from our
> current SAN solution to a NAS solution. Can anyone offer any
> advice/experience on using NAS devices to run a PostgreSQL database?

The problem with NFS is not so much the protocol, but whether your
server is reliable. If you trust that your NAS device is reliable
enough, then you should be OK. Since I trust that you don't access the
PostgreSQL data area concurrently from multiple hosts, you at least
won't have any weird cache coherency problems that NFS is known for.

--
Peter Eisentraut