Re: Using native win32 psql.exe using alternative cygwin

From: Richard van den Berg <richard(dot)vandenberg(at)trust-factory(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using native win32 psql.exe using alternative cygwin
Date: 2005-11-07 08:38:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Bill Bartlett wrote:
> I hit this exact same problem, and my initial reaction was the same as
> yours -- psql was "hanging". After much head-banging, I discovered that
> it is not in fact hanging, but is instead getting confused by being run
> from inside Putty, Cygwin, xterm, rxvt terminal, etc. Because psql is
> not being run from a native Win32 console window, it puts itself into
> non-interactive mode, so it shows no prompts, allows no line editing,
> shows no command history, etc. But it is actually running.

Thanks for sharing this insight. Reid Thompson pointed me to
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg01457.html where the cause of
this problem is discussed. It's good to know I can still use 'psql -f
foo.sql' safely under these terminals.

> Alternatively, you can run Cygwin's version of psql against the native
> Win32 PostgreSQL 8 database, assuming you install the base Cygwin
> environment.

I don't like the idea of running a different version of the client and
server, but the thought did cross my mind. I think I'll stick with the
cmd.exe terminal instead (for the time being).

Sincerely,

--
Richard van den Berg, CISSP
Trust Factory B.V. | www.dna-portal.net