PostgreSQL, Mac OS X and locales

From: Guido Neitzer <guido(dot)neitzer(at)pharmaline(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL, Mac OS X and locales
Date: 2005-11-01 21:56:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi.

I have a problem with the use of PostgreSQL on Mac OS X (10.4.x) and
selects with "order by". When there are german umlauts in the column
which is used to order, the sorted result is wrong.

As an example, I get:

where it should be:

Had someone here the same problem and solved it? I think the locales,
that come with Mac OS X are broken for this, as it seems they don't
provide the correct LC_COLLATE sort order.

I tried to figure out, how to get a correct LC_COLLATE file but
wasn't successful so far. Someone else?

I'm using the following configuration:

- Mac OS X (Server) 10.4.x and 10.3.x
- PostgreSQL 8.0.3
- initdb with encoding set to UTF-8 or ISO-Latin-1 (same results)

Some hints? Thank you!

cug