DNS vs /etc/hosts

From: Lowell(dot)Hought(at)faa(dot)gov
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: DNS vs /etc/hosts
Date: 2005-08-04 15:13:43
Lists: pgsql-general

I am changing from 7.2 to 8.0 and have both installed now on various Linux
machines. When I use the psql command line interface with a -h hostname,
the connection time from 7.2 is instant while the connection time from 8.0
is 15 seconds. My assumption is that 7.2 checks the /etc/hosts file first
and if unable to find the specified host it reverts to a DNS lookup, and
the 8.0 is just the opposite. Is this a correct assumption, and if so,
can I modify 8.0 to behave as 7.2 does?