Re: Recovering a broken database

From: Ciprian Popovici <ciprian(at)zuavra(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovering a broken database
Date: 2005-06-30 06:40:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Quoting Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
> Ciprian Popovici <ciprian(at)zuavra(dot)net> writes:
> > That is, a 8.0 which started on a 7.4.2 repository. After noticing,
> > I switched back to 7.4.2, but now it gives this error and won't start:
>
> I think you are omitting some relevant information, like what you did
> to force the 8.0 postmaster to start in a wrong-version database. It
> absolutely will not do that by itself --- I can name at least two
> separate checks that are made to prevent this error.

Come to think of it better, at some point I might've switched
repositories with 8.0 still running.

Let me see... I had 7.4.2 (code and repository) installed. The
machine is a rather ancient Red Hat 7.3 (remote, so I can't readily
upgrade it). FWIW, Postgres compilation mentions something about
an outdated Bison.

I compiled 8.0.0. I moved the old Postgres and repository out of the
way. I did make install with 8.0, then su'ed to postgres and did a
fresh initdb. Then loaded a fresh copy of the database from another
machine into the 8.0 repository.

However, people suddenly desired the old 7.4.2 installation alive
for a little more. At which point I tried to switch things back only
to discover the aforementioned error.

--
Ciprian Popovici