Re: Old problem needs solution

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>
To: "Gerald D(dot) Anderson" <gander(at)vte(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Old problem needs solution
Date: 2005-06-01 15:56:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:24:25AM -0500, Gerald D. Anderson wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> At some point, I'm not even sure when, I apparently had a bad upgrade on
> one of my production databases. I'm in a situation now where I've got
> my back up against a wall and not sure what to do. The problem is, I'm
> receiving this message frequently:
>
> did not find '}' at end of input node

Are you using Gentoo? Are you using the hierarchical queries patch?
Were you using any of the above in the previous Postgres version?

If this is the case, you will have to get the old postmaster again, and
run it against your data directory, and use that to make the dump. The
reload it in the new directory.

The problem with the hierarchical queries patch (which Gentoo applies to
some of their builds) is that it doesn't include the necessary
catalog-version increment. So people can use the same data directory
with or without the patch applied, which is a mistake because it causes
the errors you are seeing.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"