Re: Vacuumdb Errors --Any ideas?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuumdb Errors --Any ideas?
Date: 2004-05-01 21:11:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net> writes:
> I received the following errors from an automated full vacuum:
> vacuumdb: vacuuming of database "milemgr" failed: ERROR: tuple concurrently
> updated

Hm, could you have had more than one of these beasts running? It's
possible to get such an error from concurrent ANALYZE operations on
the same table. (This happens if the second ANALYZE tries to update the
pg_statistic rows before the first one is able to commit. It's a pretty
narrow window, and there's no real harm involved, so we haven't tried
hard to get rid of the race condition.)

> ERROR: Vacuum command failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I have no idea where that came from --- I can't find "vacuum command
failed" anywhere in current sources. I suspect the second part of the
message just comes from someone printing strerror(errno) in a context
where errno isn't meaningful.

Bottom line: don't panic. If you can find where the second message came
from, though, I'd like to know.