PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when...

From: Marek Lewczuk <newsy(at)lewczuk(dot)com>
To: Lista dyskusyjna pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when...
Date: 2003-11-25 12:08:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Hello,
I have changed DB from MySQL to PostgreSQL. When I have run my
application on PostgreSQL it was disaster - it was much slower than
MySQL...

I have tried to change PG configuration file etc.. no luck. After many
long days of thinking what is wrong I have made several tests with
"EXPLAIN" statement, and to my amusement there was many SeqScan - MySQL
didn't show that things. I have made some changes in PG db structure
(new indexes etc) and then I have made another test: PostgreSQL time -
10ms, MySQL time - 1 sec. I've tried to change the structure in MySQL
but it didn't change the results.

So my advise for all users which think that MySQL is faster than PG -
re-check your DB structure, check all your querys using EXPLAIN... maybe
new indexes should be added etc.

Regards,
Marek