Re: absolute value fro timestamps

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Claudio Lapidus" <clapidus(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: absolute value fro timestamps
Date: 2003-09-04 03:03:13
Lists: pgsql-general

"Claudio Lapidus" <clapidus(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Why would you want an abolute value of a negative interval?

> Because I'm trying to match pairs of records that satisfy certain criteria,

Given that we have a unary-minus operator for intervals, I see no
conceptual objection to having an absolute-value operator (and \do shows
that interval is the only standard datatype that has the former but not
the latter).

However, given that it doesn't seem to be a really widely useful
operator, I think this is the kind of itch that you'll have to scratch
yourself. Send us a patch and it'll get into the next release ...