Kerberos support interfering with normal access?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Kerberos support interfering with normal access?
Date: 2002-12-16 09:57:22
Lists: pgsql-general

The Debian postgres package is compiled with Kerberos support enabled. This
seems to be causing problems even though I don't have postgres configured to
make use of this support. In fact even with postgres configured to
automatically trust any connection without any authentication it's still
causing a problem.

The source of the confusion seems to be that my kerberos principle doesn't
actually match my unix username. I'm not sure why this should cause confusion
since even if it wanted to authenticate me as "gsstark" it should still let me
log in.

Or have I not diagnosed the problem right? I don't understand why it's still
calling it "IDENT authentication" when it has to either be "trust"
authentication or "kerberos" authentication.

$ psql -d slo
psql: FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "gsstark"

[Exit 2]

$ echo $USER
stark

$ klist | head -2
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_1000
Default principal: gsstark(at)ATHENA(dot)MIT(dot)EDU

$ strace -e open -d slo
strace: slo: command not found
[Exit 1]

$ strace -e open psql -d slo
open("/etc/krb5.conf", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/tmp/krb5cc_1000", O_RDONLY) = 3
psql: FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "gsstark"

$ grep '^[^# ]' /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
local all all trust
host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
host all all 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 reject

--
greg