Re: PostgreSQL Lite for low-end/embedded systems (16MB of total memory)

From: Raphael Bossek <raphael(dot)bossek(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Lite for low-end/embedded systems (16MB of total memory)
Date: 2002-06-30 16:12:02
Lists: pgsql-general

> Define your terms, please. Is that 16M of RAM, or disk space?
RAM. 16MB for disk space would be a overkill for PostgreSQL I
think, you too :)

> How much of it is actually available for Postgres, as opposed
> to other stuff?
5MB of RAM

> What is the OS (ie, do you have a porting problem as well as a
> space problem)?
Linux 2.4.3 (libc 2.2.5) for PowerPC

> With the default parameter settings Postgres probably doesn't need more
> than 8M of RAM.
This is true. A simple `ps` shows this values :)

My intention is to optimize this values as mutch as possible. For
our application we need user friedly respond times and swapping showed
us in the past that it can lead to unacceptable results so I try to
optimize everything could be optimized in RAM usage. New requirements
in the product lead us to look for a database so PostgreSQL could be
a solution for our further comming problems while reinventing the wheel.

So can PostgreSQL be "tuned" in this direction and where to start?

--
Raphael Bossek <raphael(dot)bossek(at)gmx(dot)de>