Re: Database corruption?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Vadim Mikheev <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: Database corruption?
Date: 2001-10-30 16:03:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com> writes:
> The problem ended up being bad RAM (it was good two weeks ago). I don't
> think it's of any use to do anything else with the database.

Ah so. Thanks for following up.

It may be unthinkable hubris to say this, but ... I am starting to
notice that a larger and larger fraction of serious trouble reports
ultimately trace to hardware failures, not software bugs. Seems we've
done a good job getting data-corruption bugs out of Postgres.

Perhaps we should reconsider the notion of keeping CRC checksums on
data pages. Not sure what we could do to defend against bad RAM,
however.