Re: debug logs: query: rollback

From: jdassen(at)cistron(dot)nl (J(dot)H(dot)M(dot) Dassen (Ray))
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: debug logs: query: rollback
Date: 2001-04-26 12:18:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Bob Parkinson <rwp(at)biome(dot)ac(dot)uk> wrote:
>query: rollback
>
>does this mean that a transaction has failed?

Indeed.

>I'm not seeing any other error messages

A rollback need not be the result of the backend raising an error. It can
also be triggered deliberately by your code that talks to the backend.

>(mind you, I need to check my scripts and see what they are loggingas
>errors).

And check that their transaction behaviour is what you intended. E.g. for
Perl's DBI, note what DBI(3pm) says about this:
:The transaction behavior of the `disconnect' method is, sadly,
:undefined. Some database systems (such as Oracle and Ingres) will
:automatically commit any out­ standing changes, but others (such as
:Informix) will rollback any outstanding changes. Applications not using
:`AutoCommit' should explicitly call `commit' or `rollback' before calling
:`disconnect'.

HTH,
Ray
--
No longer will we mistake music for a noun, as its containers have tempted
us to do for a century. We will realize once more that music is a verb, a