Re: [GENERAL] Index pg_proc_prosrc_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (1071)ISNOT THE SAME AS HEAP' (1070)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ed Loehr <ELOEHR(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: pg-gen <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Index pg_proc_prosrc_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (1071)ISNOT THE SAME AS HEAP' (1070)
Date: 1999-12-22 05:49:13
Lists: pgsql-general

> > > Do you mean to say the offending index will be auto-corrected on the fly? That
> > > would be almost as good as preventing the root cause in the first place...
> >
> > No, it just reports the index name. In 7.1, I think this problem will
> > go away, if not in 7.0.
>
> Is the problem well-understood? Is there a place where I can read up on it? This
> kind of instability is painful enough to get me thinking about trying to hack my
> distribution...

I believe it has to do with extra index tuples showing up in the index
that are not in the heap. When the count's don't match, the problem is
reported. I believe it only happens when the system crashes during an
index update. I think it is harmless. To fix it properly requires a
very sophisticated write-ahead log that is scheduled for 7.1 in about
six months.