French PDF manual

From: Guillaume LELARGE <guillaume(dot)lelarge(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: French PDF manual
Date: 2006-05-04 06:52:44
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi,

Michael Glaesemann asked me to share details about our toolchain to
build a french PDF manual. So here are the details.

We started by changing SGML files in a way that makes them syntactically
correct and valid with an XML toolchain :
- add <?xml... on the beginning of each file ;
- change </> tag with the correct ending one ;
- add / for unitary tags (xref for example) ;
- change <!entity with <!ENTITY ;
- *delete* standalone ignore and include tags but keep some of the
text ;
- put all id, linkend, endterm in lowercase ;
- etc (I probably have forgotten some).

Then we used XSLT stylesheets from the LFS project to build XHTML and
PDF manual. We used xsltproc and fop 0.20.5. And, after much tweaking
(to get good computeroutput, to fix columns' size of each table), we
finaly got this PDF :
http://docs.postgresqlfr.org/pgsql-8.1.3-fr/pg813.pdf

Of course, you've seen the only problem for your move to XML : we
deleted standalone tags. But I think the result deserv some more work. I
would be glad to work on this if you think this could be a useful
addition to the project.

FYI, building the PDF file take me about 6 minutes on a Athlon 2.2 GHz
with 1 GB of RAM. I think this is good news :) Bad news is it takes
about half an hour to build the HTML one... pretty ugly... I don't
really know why it takes so much time.

If you're still interested on this work, should I work on 8.1 branch or
on HEAD ?

Hope you find this useful and forgive my bad english,

Regards.

--
Guillaume.