Re: create rule syntax

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create rule syntax
Date: 2005-05-20 12:31:10
Lists: pgsql-docs

Robert Treat wrote:
> Sorry I missed this before, but the first examples use of create rule on
> *object* rather than *table* seems like something important enough to keep,
> since obviously rules can be on more than just tables.

I can't get too excited about this. CREATE RULE uses "table" as well,
and specifies that "table" really means "table or view". Similarly, the
INSERT syntax summary talks about "INSERT INTO table ...", although of
course you can insert into a view if the appropriate rule exists. A view
is a table in more ways than one...

-Neil