Re: error in cygwin - please help me

From: Klint Gore <kg(at)kgb(dot)une(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: Chip Long <chip_long(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error in cygwin - please help me
Date: 2004-10-10 23:33:20
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:44:10 -0700 (PDT), Chip Long <chip_long(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> creating directory /var/postgresql/data... ok
> creating directory /var/postgresql/data/base... ok
> creating directory /var/postgresql/data/global... ok
> creating directory /var/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
> creating directory /var/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
> selecting default max_connections... Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> 10
> selecting default shared_buffers... Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> Signal 12
> 50
> creating configuration files... ok
> creating template1 database in /var/postgresql/data/base/1... Signal 12
>
> initdb: failed
> initdb: removing data directory "/var/postgresql/data"
>
> >From what I read, i understand the initial 'Signal 12's are fine. But it
> still doesn't install the DB. I have CYGSERVER installed and it appears
> to be running correctly. I have opened all of the permissions in the
> following folders in hopes of avoiding the permission error:
> /var/*
> /usr/*
> /tmp/*
>
> Thank you for your help!

Looks like the exact errors I get with the cygserver not running. Have
you run cygserver-config? I had a few problems before I ran this.

Check the CYGWIN environment variable as well. I had a typo in mine
that caused all sorts of problems.

$ net stop cygserver
The CYGWIN cygserver service is stopping.
The CYGWIN cygserver service was stopped successfully.

$ initdb -D /tmp/atest2
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "klint".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /tmp/atest2... ok
creating directory /tmp/atest2/base... ok
creating directory /tmp/atest2/global... ok
creating directory /tmp/atest2/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /tmp/atest2/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
10
selecting default shared_buffers... Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
Signal 12
50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /tmp/atest2/base/1... Signal 12

initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/tmp/atest2"

$ net start cygserver
The CYGWIN cygserver service is starting..
The CYGWIN cygserver service was started successfully.

$ initdb -D /tmp/atest2
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "klint".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /tmp/atest2... ok
creating directory /tmp/atest2/base... ok
creating directory /tmp/atest2/global... ok
creating directory /tmp/atest2/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /tmp/atest2/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 40
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /tmp/atest2/base/1... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
initializing pg_depend... ok
creating system views... ok
creating conversions... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects... ok
creating information schema... ok
vacuuming database template1... ok
copying template1 to template0... ok

Success. You can now start the database server using:

/usr/bin/postmaster -D /tmp/atest2
or
/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /tmp/atest2 -l logfile start

$

: Klint Gore : "Non rhyming :
: EMail : kg(at)kgb(dot)une(dot)edu(dot)au : slang - the :
: Snail : A.B.R.I. : possibilities :
: Mail University of New England : are useless" :
: Armidale NSW 2351 Australia : L.J.J. :
: Fax : +61 2 6772 5376 : :