Re: PG on Win2K

From: "joek hondius" <jhondius(at)rem(dot)nl>
To: "'Nikhil G(dot) Daddikar'" <ngd(at)celoxis(dot)com>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG on Win2K
Date: 2002-09-02 09:32:32
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi,
We have the exact same issue here. It is very well possible, we have it
running (win9x/ME/NT4/W2K/XP).
Cygwin is required, but you can make a minimal install.
We use NSIS installer to
1) Let the user decide where to install
2) copy package all the cygwin+postgresql files in one SETUP.EXE, and
3) do some postinstall scripts.
After this everything is set up. Click start.bat and go.
Or even better: you can do the same thing as NT services.

We also have made a "cygwin-postgresql control panel", which looks a bit
like msSQL's to start/stop/backup/vacuum/schedule/change-database.

Our installer bundle will be released as freeware/applicable licences for
pg/cygwin when we think has been tested.

We also stresstested cygwin. With our app its stable, but the is a 60
concurrent user limit to the postgres-cygwin-windows combination.

A native postgres for windows version, to be released into the source tree,
is currently under developement however. No release date yet as i understand
it.

Regards, J Hondius