Re: Cygwin-Postgres-IpcMemoryCreate

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Saravanan Bellan <SBellan(at)jareva(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cygwin-Postgres-IpcMemoryCreate
Date: 2002-04-23 11:49:58
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 05:33:14PM -0700, Saravanan Bellan wrote:
> Sorry to get back so late on this one.

No problem.

> I'm using
> Cygwin dll - 1.3.10
> Cygipc 1.11-1
> Postgres 7.2.1
> Windows 2000 Professional (SP 1, Build 2195)
> NTFS

The above is my setup too.

> I'm running a non standard postgres-cygwin installation. Using only parital
> Cygwin installation and do not have a separate Windows User for postgres.

Why?

> I'm starting initdb with the -U option(I think this was introduced in 7.2)
> and use that user name for further connections.

Are the user running postmaster and the owner of the data files the
same? Can you reproduce this problem with either the basic or NT
service setup as described in the README?

> The change I had to make was in src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c
>
> In InstallXLogFileSegment, just commented link() and use the rename()
> section, after reading the commnets that "rename() is an acceptable
> substiute except for the truly paranoid" . I'm sure it is not a valid fix,
> but seem to work for me in my setup.

I was looking for a patch. Instead of the above, what about the attached
*untested* patch?

Someone should figure out why Cygwin link() fails in this situation,
but rename() succeeds. If so and it makes sense, then I will post a
patch to pgsql-patches.

> On a side note, I used to see multiple 'postgres' processes in 'Windows Task
> Manager' , but now because of this change or some other setup change I see
> multiple 'postmaster' processes. Is there a explanation?

Did you replace the postmaster symlink to postgres.exe with a copy of
postgres.exe? For example:

$ rm /usr/bin/postmaster
$ cp /usr/bin/postgres.exe /usr/bin/postmaster.exe

If so, then this explains the above.

Jason

Attachment Content-Type Size
xlog.c.diff text/plain 511 bytes