Re: PGSTAT : COnnection Refused Error (pgsql 7.2-2 on cygwin

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: "Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd" <tim(at)fosterfinch(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSTAT : COnnection Refused Error (pgsql 7.2-2 on cygwin
Date: 2002-03-04 12:50:13
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Tim,

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 09:33:55PM +0000, Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd wrote:
> I have reinstalled cygwin, and put on a post 1.3.9 snapshot of the dll as
> suggested to fix the psql problem.

Please use Cygwin 1.3.10 since it is available now.

> I put on cygipc as directed.
> I followed Jason's text file (NT portion) at
> http://tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.README.txt
> to reinstall. It all goes well until the line to 'net start postmaster'
> whereby the postmaster starts and stops immediately.
>
> The only line in the log file says
>
> PGSTAT: connect(2): Connection refused
>
> timed at the point when I tried to start the postmaster.

Sorry, but I have never seen the above error. However, here are some
suggestions to debug your problem:

1. Try starting postmaster from the command line. Do you get the same
error?

2. Try deleting the cygipc files:

$ rm /tmp/cygipc* /tmp/MultiFile*

Any difference?

3. Try to strace the problem:

$ rm /usr/bin/postmaster
$ cp /usr/bin/postgres.exe /usr/bin/postmaster.exe
$ strace -o postmaster.log postmaster ...
$ rm /usr/bin/postmaster.exe
$ ln -s postgres.exe /usr/bin/postmaster

Note that he games before and after the strace above is to temporarily
convert postmaster from a symlink to a real Win32 executable. This is
necessary because strace is a Mingw app and hence does *not* understand
Cygwin symlinks.

Any thing obvious in postmaster.log?

HTH,
Jason