Its Beta Time Again ... 8.1 Beta 1 Now Available

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Its Beta Time Again ... 8.1 Beta 1 Now Available
Date: 2005-08-25 23:28:12
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Back on the 1st of July, after almost 6 months of development since 8.0
was released, development on 8.1 was frozen.

Now, after spending the past few weeks processing through outstanding
patches applicable to 8.1, we now enter our beta testing period, where we
need help from the community at large.

PostgreSQL 8.1 will bring in alot of fairly large features, including:

- Improve concurrent access to the shared buffer cache
- Add in-memory bitmaps which allows multiple indexes to be merged in
a single query
- Add two-phase commit
- Create a new role system that replaces users and groups
- Move /contrib/pgautovacuum into the main server
- Add shared row level locks using SELECT ... FOR SHARE
- many many others listed in the HISTORY file

As with all major releases, we need to put the above changes through some
extensive testing, in as many scenarios as possible, so encourage both
testing, as well as bug reports.

PostgreSQL 8.1 Beta 1 is now available via:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.1beta

Please report any bugs with this beta to:

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org

Or through our Bug Reporting Tool available at:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug

----