PostgreSQL, Inc. Releases Open Source Replication Version

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: PgSQL Corporate Communications <pr(at)pgsql(dot)com>
Subject: PostgreSQL, Inc. Releases Open Source Replication Version
Date: 2003-08-26 20:34:35
Lists: pgsql-announce

Wolfville, Nova Scotia PostgreSQL, Inc.
For Immediate Release 360 Main Street, Suite 21
Tuesday, August 26th, 2003 Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Canada, B4P 1C4
Phone 902 542 0713
Fax 902 542 5386

eRServer v1.0+ BSD
PostgreSQL, Inc. Releases Open Source Replication Version

PostgreSQL, Inc. is today contributing its commercially developed
replication solution, eRServer(c) v1.0+ for the PostgreSQL database,
to the PostgreSQL project and the global open source community. This
is part of PostgreSQL Inc.'s ongoing commitment to promoting open
source software by adding a crucial enterprise component to the
world's most advanced open source database.

Replication is one of the most critical utilities for enterprise
databases, and this release makes that capability accessible to
qualified developers and users who could not previously afford
replication because of software licensing or support fees.

While PostgreSQL, Inc. is independent from the PostgreSQL Global
Development Project, the company is a committed contributor and
supporter of Free/Libr Open Source Software principles through
actively promoting PostgreSQL's BSD open source licensing - even when
that may compete with our commercial developments. One of the most
innovative of those commitments is our promise to make any of our
commercial software source code available as BSD open source within
two years of its retail release...
"DATELINE FRIDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2000
Open Source vs. Proprietary:
We advocate Open Source, BSD style :) We will consider and develop
short term (up to 24 month) proprietary applications and solutions
where there is a strong business and intellectual property case to
be made. *All" proprietary developments that we are involved in
*will* become open source within two years of implementation,
without exception."

"We and our global network of partners encourage and challenge every
company that uses, sells or supports open source software to follow
our lead and begin to path all proprietary developments into the open
source stream as well." states PostgreSQL, Inc. CEO Geoff Davidson.
"By committing commercial development efforts to advancing open
source software, companies like PostgreSQL, Inc. are ensuring that
Free/Libr Open Source Software will continue to increase the
availability and benefits of advanced applications and features to
everyone. This approach ensures that anyone who wants to is enabled
to contribute to their community regardless of how much they may have
in the bank."

"eRServer(c) has proven itself by supporting large mission critical
systems, including the .INFO and .ORG registry management system."
observes PostgreSQL, Inc.'s President Marc Fournier. "Version 1.0 was
released commercially in October 2001 and today I am proud to
announce that an enhanced version of that source code is being
released to the community under the BSD Open Source Software License.

"This eRServer(c) v1.0+BSD source code includes all the original
capabilities of the release version, along with improved
documentation, bug fixes, and even some of the enhanced features
previously available only in v1.2 or higher. "We are releasing this
with plans to work with many in the community to develop new
capabilities to benefit both our open source and commercial channels.
It is our hope to attract new developers interested in working with
us towards our broader vision for expanding PostgreSQL use in
enterprises that require larger, more dynamic databases to exploit
the truly unlimited scale and scope that PostgreSQL achieves in
broadly distributed database environments."

"However," cautions Fournier, "replication can be an extremely
complex area for programming in enterprise systems - so even the more
advanced database users should expect to invest a good deal of
development time and effort in properly deploying this software."
Although eRServer(c) v1.0+BSD does not come with free support, it
will be covered under any of our commercial support programs, and
should quickly pick up support and expertise from the community as
more users become familiar with configuring and deploying the many
replication capabilities this source code enables."

"eRServer gives us one of the 'top five' components that the
PostgreSQL database has needed in order to compete with commercial
enterprise databases such as Oracle and DB2 on equal terms," said
Josh Berkus, member of the PostgreSQL Global Development Group (PGDG).
"We are very grateful for the contribution. PostgreSQL Inc.'s example
shows other companies that you can contribute software to the open
source community and be successful."

About the company:
PostgreSQL, Inc. is a privately held commercial company whose mission
is to promote and advance the use and acceptance of PostgreSQL, the
world's most advanced open source database.

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Marc Fournier
* PostgreSQL, Inc.
* 1 902 542 0713