Re: Can SCALE 6x resurrect LAPUG

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Richard Broersma Jr" <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Advocacy For PostgreSQL" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can SCALE 6x resurrect LAPUG
Date: 2007-12-13 19:58:54
Lists: lapug pgsql-advocacy

On Dec 13, 2007 10:50 AM, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> --- On Thu, 12/13/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Create a flyer we can hand out at the show for the local
> > group that is trying to get off the ground.
>
> A flyer should be pretty easy to make. In addition to saying "Lets start
> LAPUG!", what kinds of contact information can be given to interested ones
> if they want to inquire for further information? I assume setting a date and
> place is far to premature at this point.

It's not premature to pick a date and place! Do you have contact
information for any of the other interested people? PDXPUG started with
four people.

The key for us was contacting the University, communicating through other
open source and database user groups, and being consistent! We kept having
meetings every month, at the same time and place for three months and at
that point, we had a regular following! Now our meetings have 10-15 people,
and we've had a couple where over 30 people came.

> Also, I see that instructions for a booths and press kits already exist.
> Does a recipe like these exist for the operation PostgreSQL user groups?

We don't have that, but most of the user group leads watch and post to this
mailing list. You can ask us questions any time!

Also, some of my family is in LA - Alhambra - and I could come down and give
a talk sometime for your group after SCALE.

And if you're interested in creating a "user groups operating manual", I'd
love to collaborate with you as LAPUG gets off the ground :)

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group